[Discuss] Password managers

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Tue May 5 19:03:21 EDT 2020

On 5/5/20 6:54 PM, Kent Borg wrote:
> The result is the passwords I use most frequently I remember, so I
> just type them. The ones I use infrequently are infrequent, so I don't
> mind looking them up.
>
> Remember: All software has bugs, password managers are not somehow
> immune.

How about this analogy: I have keys in my pocket, when I want to open a
door (to which I have a key), I pull out the key and stick it in the
lock. The idea that every door I walk past should automatically unlock
if it can seems a really bad idea. Manually using a key is a little
effort but it doesn't seem unreasonable.

Don't some cars now unlock and go live when they think the driver is
near? Boy, the sounds like a lot of things waiting to go wrong.
Transparent and automatic password managers feel the same way to me.

-kb