[Discuss] sound

Matthew Gillen me at mattgillen.net
Wed May 6 16:10:08 EDT 2020

On 4/27/2020 10:56 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:
> dan moylan wrote:
>>
>> as i wrote in my last missive to blu, i have two
>> computers:
>>
>> arcturas, an intel nuc10, running fc31, and
>> aldeberon, an asus aspire E1-472P, also running fc31.
>>
>> i run dnf upgrade on each every week.
>>
>> i use timidity to play my fife&drum music files, and find
>> that on each of the computers, aperiodically it will cease
>> to work, and then on some dnf upgrade will return to
>> functionality.
>>
>> right now, the sound on arcturas has completely ceased to
>> work -- no youtube, no zoom, no output from "settings" sound
>> test.  aldeberon's sound system continues okay.
>>
>> how can i set up my sound for more robust functionality?
>
> Any error messages?
>
> Without them, the generic usual suggestions are:
>
> 1. figure out whether you are using ALSA or PulseAudio or
> something else.
>
> 2. Make sure the sound subsystem knows your devices.
>
> 3. Adjust the mixer controls.

Along the lines of point #3 there, depending on the desktop you use,
I've hit some issues with Gnome's sound applet where the master volume
is set reasonably, but individual applications are muted (and this
happened without me knowingly telling it to mute an application
(although it is never out of the question that the resident 4 year old
figured out a magic key combo that I never will).  So find the sound
applet and see if there is an individual slider for the application that
isn't producing sound.

Hope that helps,
Matt