[Discuss] Password managers

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Wed May 6 19:58:25 EDT 2020

On Wed, 6 May 2020 19:32:49 -0400
Kent Borg <kentborg at borg.org> wrote:

> What is the point?

Proof against dictionary and rainbow table attacks against compromised
account databases, and making brute force atacks against my accounts
take longer than the low hanging fruit.

> Conversely, what is the cost? The cost is passwords that are
> completely unusable for mere human beings. Unusable is bad security.

I call straw man. My passwords are not used by a human being beyond
generation and copy-pasting into my vaults. Therefore, human-centric
constraints such as being memorable are unnecessary. Therefore, there
is no actual cost or loss of security.

--
Rich Pieri