[Discuss] Password managers

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Wed May 6 20:17:37 EDT 2020

On 5/6/20 7:32 PM, Rich Pieri wrote:
> I have over 250 site passwords in my vaults. I can't remember and track
> them all. Therefore I have programs do it for me. Since I don't have to
> remember them all myself there is no need to constrain my passwords to
> memorable patterns.

I'm not opposed to using software. I am opposed to assuming password
software is for some reason bug-free and choosing according to
convenience features. Choose password software extremely carefully. And
once you have chosen something, use it even more carefully. And even
then be really worried that, though your password software and how you
use it might be really, really excellent, if someone has spyware on your
machine that targets your password software, you are *so* screwed.

This stuff is terrifying.

I have no idea what my brokerage user name is let alone the password,
because both are password (not encryption) quality strings*. I have to
look them up. But once I do, I certainly can read what they are,
remember each long enough to type, and even type each without too bad a
chance of an error.

I, too, have hundreds of passwords. I only remember a few--the ones I
use a lot. I have to look up the others. But at least some days I never
look up a password.

-kb

* Why have a password-quality username? To keep my account from being
disabled when someone probes too many times. I was changing my brokerage
password every couple weeks at one point. I wasn't worried my password
would be guessed, but the brokerage was. A secret username also makes
bogus password recovery attempts by crooks harder.

P.S. When choosing how to manage your passwords don't just consider
security, think a lot about reliability, too: Will you accidentally get
locked out?