[Discuss] Password managers

Doug sweetser at alum.mit.edu
Wed May 6 21:44:34 EDT 2020

> And even
> then be really worried that, though your password software and how you
> use it might be really, really excellent, if someone has spyware on your
> machine that targets your password software, you are *so* screwed.
>
> This stuff is terrifying.

Less so if one uses two-step verification. I could type my username and
password for GMail and lastpass right here and you would not be able to get
in. The reason: you don't have my Yubikey. Most banks and credit card
companies use people's cell phones as a 2SV. The cell phone is not as good
as a Yubikey, but the second step means your money is not immediately gone
due to spyware. Spyware folks do not also steal millions of cell phones.