[Discuss] linux video editors?

grg grg-webvisible+blu at ai.mit.edu
Sat Nov 14 18:48:35 EST 2020

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 04:19:40PM -0500, Dan Ritter wrote:
> kdenlive
> shotcut
> flowblade
> and blender has a video editor component

great list!  also to add a couple professional and free-but-not-libre editors
which run on linux:
 * lightworks (lwks.com) - free for uploads to youtube up to 720p, but no
   other output formats.  used to make hollywood movies like pulp fiction
   and wolf of wall street.  talks about open-sourcing the code, but hasn't.
   apparently a lot of serious youtubers use this.
 * davinci resolve - free version doesn't have their full bag of effects
   but does have most other features. used to make tons of movies from
   avatar to x-men apocalypse, star wars last jedi, pirates of the
   caribbean, and has some best picture oscar films.

again, not floss, but it's amazing to me that you can just download and run
this level of video editing on linux.

I've also seen a lot of buzz around the libre olivevideoeditor.org, though
to my eye the project looks still pretty raw.  but it's aiming high, and
could be a contender.

--grg