[Discuss] linux video editors?

Doug sweetser at alum.mit.edu
Sun Nov 15 23:31:27 EST 2020

Davinci Resolve is professional (similar level as Adobe and Final Cut Pro)
and free as in different business model. The company Black Magic makes and
sells expensive cameras. I think the game they play to get one to pay the
$400 is to limit the number of codex they support on Linux for the free
version. If the program understands your video file, it can do everything.
If the Linux version doesn't work, then it probably will work on Windows
which the free one has more codexes.

There are more bells and whistles than you will ever dive into. I often
have to use YouTube to understand how to get a particular task done. I
would call the learning curve medium and the upper limit professional video
editing. But there will always be a tutorial, that's the focus of some
people who use the software.

In the same program I also do all my sound editing. I was able to increase
the level of a particular singer who sung quietly relative to the rest. It
also does normalization, so all the sound tracks reach the same level.

Doug