[Discuss] System receiving incorrect IP address

epp at mcom.com epp at mcom.com
Wed Oct 21 22:01:05 EDT 2020

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 21:47:16 -0400
worley at alum.mit.edu (Dale R. Worley) wrote:

> People have said that Mac addresses cannot be spoofed, but I've
> discovered that they can be on some NICs.  Indeed, the first time I
> tried it, I was surprised that it worked and even more surprised that
> when I power-cycled the card, it kept the new Mac address -- so I
> should have written down the original Mac address before messing with
> it. IIRC, the command I used was "ifconfig eth0 hw ether
> xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx".

What was occurring was that the router I had been using as a switch,
was somehow assigning IP addresses to devices not even connected to it,
either via Ethernet or WiFi. The IP address of the router was set to a
different subnet and DHCP was turned off. I do not know why it was
assigning IP's with DHCP off, but it's since been removed and haven't
had an issue since.