[Discuss] Please help with a PHP and/or Apache2 problem

Bill Horne malassimilation at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 12:47:11 EST 2021

Thanks for reading this. I appreciate your time.

I'm the moderator of The Telecom Digest <http://telecom-digest.org/>,
and I publish an archive of the Digest's back issues.

I've noticed a problem with the archive: the Digest uses the ISO-8859-1
character set, but somehow the archives aren't using it, at least in my
Chrome browser Version 88.0.4324.150 under W10.

Please compare the result you get from both of these URL's ...

http://telecom-digest.org/archives/back.issues/recent.single.issues/a2.php
<http://telecom-digest.org/archives/back.issues/recent.single.issues/a2.php>

http://telecom-digest.org/archives/back.issues/recent.single.issues/V40-38
<http://telecom-digest.org/archives/back.issues/recent.single.issues/V40-38>

The first URL shows today's Digest, with some question marks in place of
accented characters. The second appears to be normal.

The "a2.php" file is a stripped-down version of our usual archive
retrieval code. It is shown below.

> <?php
> include "[redacted]/archives/back.issues/recent.single.issues/V40-38";
> ?>

The question is "why?"  All suggestions welcome.

Bill

--
Bill Horne