[Discuss] Question About Spam

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Wed Feb 24 18:54:04 EST 2021

On 2/24/21 3:13 PM, Matthew Gillen wrote:
> On 2/24/2021 6:04 PM, Kent Borg wrote:
>> I recently started getting spam sent to an address that I supplied to an
>> online vendor and no one else. I contacted them, and tried to send an
>> example of the spam, but Google (who handles their e-mail) bounced my
>> e-mail.
>>
>> If this vendor is interested in seeing an example, how in heck do I send
>> it to them? Do I have to put it on a web page? (Is it not possible to
>> talk about e-mail spam over e-mail?)
> You could put the email in a zip file or the like.   Old timers might
> remember uuencode got used for rewriting things

ROT-13!

> that you wanted to make
> sure weren't interpreted by SMTP, but that isn't practical anymore.

Or ">" in front of the word "From" at the beginning of a line. Nowadays
e-mail is mostly encoded in MIME, and Google will look inside that.

The problem is isn't Google is going to look inside whatever level of
obfuscating I do, up to the level some non-technical person might have
the patience to undo? At least anyone scanning for malware should, maybe
they don't go deep for spam.

If the vendor shows any interest, I'll put it on a web page and send a link.

-kb