[Discuss] Debian resolv.conf

epp at mcom.com epp at mcom.com
Fri Jan 1 10:32:18 EST 2021

On 1/1/21 10:14 AM, epp at mcom.com wrote:
> Happy New Year.
>
> I have installed Debian 10 on my desktops, due to an issue with a
> prior Linux OS and noticed some differences after installation.
> Specifically with resolv.conf.
>
> System 1's resolv.conf only contains:
>
> Generated by Connection Manager
> nameserver ::1
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
>

> System 2's contains:
>
> domain (comcast)
> search (comcast)
> nameserver (comcast primary IPv4)
> nameserver (comcast secondary IPv4)
>
> (There is no reference to System 2's resolv.conf being generated by
> Connection Manager.)
>

> When I tested the browser (Firefox) on System 1 at Comcast's IPv6 test
> mirror:
> https://test-ipv6-vm3.comcast.net, it went through the tests and
> although it reported 10/10, there was an indication that the browser
> has a real working IPv6 address, but is avoiding using it.
>
> When Firefox was tested on System 2 at the same site, it also reported
> 10/10, but did not indicate it was avoiding IPv6.
>
> Although I used the same image to install Debian on both, I used the
> graphical installer on System 1, which during the process, did not
> prompt for the domain name, nor did it ask for a root password, unlike
> the regular (text-based) installer. I have since created the root
> password.
>
> Are these unexpected differences with System 1, cause for concern?
> Should I reinstall Debian on it, using the text-based installer instead?
>
> Thanks in advance.

In addition, on System 1, in the Thunderbird config file, the entry for
network.dns.disableIPV6 is on false (the default). With this setting,
Thunderbird will not connect to Comcast's IMAP or SMTP servers. This
setting must be on 'true' (disabling IPv6) for TB to connect. Otherwise,
it connects fine everywhere else.

It appears that I probably should reinstall Debian.