[Discuss] The web of clowns

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 18:21:36 EDT 2021

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 14:57:26 -0400
Eric Chadbourne <eric.chadbourne at icloud.com> wrote:

> The vast majority of companies and government agencies are wildly
> incompetent at IT, particularly security.

They're getting better. It is taking some very high profile wakeup
calls like the Solarwinds breach but it is happening.

> ICANN is an untrustworthy whore completely overrun by the industry
> they should regulate.

ICANN is not, and never has been, a regulatory agency. ICANN is a
non-profit corporation. It has no regulatory authority.

> Top domains that boast extra security are actually the exact
> opposite.  For example dot bank and dot cpa.  Complete clown show top
> to bottom.

Much of this is due to DNS being insecure and trusting at its heart.
Turns out, securing something that is intrinsically insecure is hard.
And of course these extra security TLDs are the most attractive
targets and the most agressively attacked.

> How do you all find the energy to keep working in this
> field?   I’m either going to leave or transition to red teaming.
> This is all terrible.  Kind of a joke industry.

Beats manual labor.

--
Rich Pieri