[Discuss] The web of clowns

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 22:20:21 EDT 2021

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 23:15:54 -0000
Eric Chadbourne <eric.chadbourne at icloud.com> wrote:

> Breach velocity is increasing, or so it appears from here, but I'm
> just reading the same public stuff you all are.

Maybe, but breach reporting is also increasing. Companies are learning
that trying to keep breaches secret is harmful to their long-term
repuatations. It's also illegal in much of the world and the penalties
are designed to be onerous. They also are learning that transparency is
beneficial to their reputations.

I expect this is skewing your perception of the world.

> The word regulatory may have been incorrect.  They do require
> significant contractual obligations and have methods to modify them.
> Feels like a governing body even though it really isn't.

ICANN's charter and role is to manage the top level domains in the US
and to manage the IP address space in the US. I suppose you could say
ICANN governs the creation of TLDs and the allocation of IP addresses.
Regardless, ICANN does not govern or regulate its customers' use of
those domains and addresses. That authority belongs to various federal
agencies including but not limited to the FCC, the FTC and the NTIA.

> Yeah you hit the nail on the head IMHO.  The combination of arrogance
> and ignorance is impressive.  DNS is hard at that level.

DNS is hard at every level. I mean, the definitive book on DNS is over
600 pages in its current edition. There's a reason why every chapter
starts with a quote from Lewis Carrol.

--
Rich Pieri