[Discuss] IRC problems at freenode?

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Thu Jun 17 15:17:23 EDT 2021

Ian Kelling wrote:

> Dan Ritter <dsr at randomstring.org> writes:
>
> > Christopher Perrault wrote:
> >> I don't know the specifics of the issue(s), but I know something's up
> >> because Fedora and Centos switched their channels to Libera also.
> >>

> > https://ariadne.space/2021/05/20/the-whole-freenode-kerfluffle/
> >
> > and eventually
> >
> > https://isfreenodedeadyet.com/
> >
> > -dsr-
>
> Yes. tldr is that freenode is now libera.chat

That's... inaccurate.

freenode suffered a coup, a totalitarian takeover, and then
kicked everyone out in order to attain pure enlightenment. It's
true, with no users comes a kind of purity.

libera.chat was created by some of the former freenode admins,
has protections against suffering the same fate, and has been
chosen by many projects as their new home.

The other major IRC network for free and open source communities
(among others) is oftc.net, which is sponsored by Software in
the Public Interest. oftc is where the official Debian channels
were and still are.

-dsr-