[Discuss] bluetooth

Edward epp at caramail.com
Thu Mar 11 12:55:39 EST 2021

On 3/11/21 11:31 AM, dan moylan wrote:
> running fc33 gnome on a lenevo T430 and attempting to send
> audio via an esinkin wireless bluetooth audio adapter to a
> nearby radio aux input.  in settings, bluetooth, i see the
> adapter and heard a reassuring bleep when it showed
> connected.  nonetheless, audio files still come out of the
> computer speakers rather than the remote radio.  what do i
> need to do?
>
> ole dan
>
> j. daniel moylan
> 84 harvard ave
> brookline, ma 02446-6202
> 617-777-0207 (cel)
> jdm at moylan.us
> www.moylan.us
> [BLM]

Hello Dan,

Given my recent issues with Bluetooth, it seems like I've almost become
an expert on the subject!  :-)

I am using a USB Bluetooth dongle on the PC, that was described (on
Amazon) as working with Linux. Technically, it does.

I'm running Debian 10 here and have the following packages installed.
Possibly, one or more might not be installed?

bluetooth
bluez
bluex-obexd
bluez-tools
blueman (Bluetooth device manager)
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth

broadcom-bt-firmware (was found on GitHub for the USB dongle to work
with Debian)

There have been times when I have a Bluetooth device (headphones)
paired, yet the audio comes out of the wired speakers instead. This
occurs if I am trying to change the Bluetooth profile from A2DP (for
music) to HSP.HFP (for conferencing). This usually corrects itself, if I
remove the headphones from the Bluetooth Manager and add them back in.
Have you tried un-pairing the radio and re-pair it?

I have several Bluetooth headphones and discovered some do not support
the HSP/HFP profile, while others support both it and A2DP.

It's possible that the radio does not support one of these profiles.

Note that I have never tried connecting a physical Bluetooth speaker (or
radio) to the PC, only headphones.

Hope this info is helpful in some way.

--
Linux. A Continual Learning Experience.