[Discuss] work search question

Dale R. Worley worley at alum.mit.edu
Tue May 25 20:54:25 EDT 2021

> From: Eric Chadbourne <eric.chadbourne at icloud.com>
>
> Any tips on favorite places to look for work or contracts?? I tend to
> wear hats with three letters but ^C.? Dev, Sec, Ops, and the like.?
> 100% remote.? Usually burn out or get bored in three years.? A
> contract shorter than seems to be the best.

The best algorithm I know of is (1) know what you're looking for, and
(2) ask everyone you know if they know of someone who wants that.  My
last job-hunt, it took me about 3 months from starting to offer-in-hand,
by far the best I'd ever done.  In this case, you have spread the word
widely that you are looking but left it remarkably unclear what exactly
you want to do (and know how to do).

(Also, write in solid standard English -- that skill is not so common
and will superstitiously impress the natives.  That is, don't stick
random question marks on the ends of sentences.  Then again, perhaps
that is the result of some odd transformation done by the listserv, in
which case, well, you're the computer expert, how did you get messed up
by that?)

Dale