[Discuss] Avoiding paying Windows license in the US

Julian Daich julian.daich at freecomputerlabs.org
Mon May 31 23:04:41 EDT 2021

El mar, 1 jun 2021 a las 0:23, Rich Pieri (<richard.pieri at gmail.com>) escribió:

> On Mon, 31 May 2021 23:38:54 +0200
> Julian Daich <julian.daich at freecomputerlabs.org> wrote:
>
> > Thanks. I talked today with an HP representative. for almost 40
> > minutes Their position was taking it as it comes with WIndows or
> > returning the laptop to be refunded for all. Seems that getting
> > refunded only for the OS is a hard and time consuming process.
>
> Yup. The license data is programmed into the ACPI SLIC table. Wiping
> Windows and installing something else does not remove the license data.
> You need some specialized software tools to do this. Even if you can
> prove to your OEM that you removed the license data, if you have the
> tools to reprogram the SLIC table then you have the tools needed to
> back up that table and restore it at a later date.

Hi Rich,

Whatever the tech behind it is, the license states
"By using this software, you accept these terms. If you do not accept
them, do not use the software. instead, contact the manufacturer or
installer to determine their return policy for a refund or credit."

This will show up to you after you paid and they cannot force you to accept it.

> TL;DR: if you don't want to pay for Windows then don't buy a computer
> that shipped with Windows on it. Go check out System 76.

Vendors cannot really force you to buy something and to force you to
accept a privative EULA for using something you buyed existing free
alternatives. I find a better deal to get a second hand computer and
put whatever I want on it.

Best,

Julian