[Discuss] odd problem

dan moylan jdm at moylan.us
Mon Nov 15 19:59:19 EST 2021

gregory galperin <grg at csail.mit.edu> writes:
> by 'terminal' I assume you mean a terminal window in x11?
> if so, sounds like an xwindows problem...
> can you log in as root?  (which presumably does not run x11?)

yes i can, and as root am able to bring up an x11 terminal
in which the keyboard types in quite nicely with no
problems.

> check in /var/log/Xorg.0.log ...

find / -name Xorg.0.log 2>/dev/null produces nothing, and
i'm not sure i'd know what to look for in it or what to do
if i found it.

what does this tell us?

ole dan

> > On Mon, Nov 15, 2021, 2:44 PM dan moylan <jdm at moylan.us> wrote:
>
> >> i've been happily running fc33 on an intel nuc-10 connected
> >> to an aoc monitor.  recently, i was attempting to connect
> >> the nuc to the 55 in lg tv over my mantel and had trouble
> >> with the logitec K404r keyboard.  when i summoned a terminal
> >> it came up, but the keyboard did not communicate.  the
> >> keyboard's built in touchpad worked fine, but the keypad
> >> itself did not connect.  moving back to the aoc monitor,
> >> same issue.
> >>
> >> aha, says i, the touchpad is fine, but the keyboard has
> >> somehow become faulty.  off to the microcenter, coming home
> >> with a logitec K400+ keyboard.  agrrragh!  same issue.
> >> note, however, that when the login screen came up, i was
> >> able to type in the password successfully, but after
> >> summoning a terminal -- total disconnect.

j. daniel moylan
84 harvard ave
brookline, ma 02446-6202
617-777-0207 (cel)