[Discuss] Abolish DST (was This year's Beowulf Bash is not for the lily-livered)

John Abreau abreauj at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 18:00:54 EST 2021

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 12:52 PM Kent Borg <kentborg at borg.org> wrote:
[....]

> (When people post that such-and-such will happen at 4PM EDT on
> July-something-th, I always try
> to resist the pedantic urge to correct.)

[....]

Correct what? In July we're using EDT, so 4PM EDT in July is correct
already.

I gotta say, I didn't expect my original post to open up such a hornet's
nest. All I was trying to say is (1) complaining about DST in an
announcement for a professional seminar that has nothing to do with
timezones seems unprofessional; (2) making up yet another way to refer to
timezones (EPT) is counterproductive and only adds to the existing
confusion; and (3) using something like "US/Eastern" instead of "EST" and
"EDT" unambiguously conveys the correct information without the need to
think about DST.

Email: abreauj at gmail.com / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0x920063C6