[Discuss] Off Topic and Proud of It: Untraceable Garage Door Openers: No Alexa, No Siri, no nothing

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 18:25:37 EDT 2021

So, if I understand correctly, OP is unable to find a garage door opener
that doesn't have some kind of "smart speaker" integration built in.  And
their conclusion based on this is that the NSA has forced these companies
to make this move?

I have little to no faith in the NSA, or the American government in
general, but this seems like a case of attributing to oversight what could
adequately be explained by profiteering.

Anyway, I agree with Eric.  Make your own.  I'm assuming that the motorized
part that actually moves the garage door is fine, and it's just the little
clicker you keep in your car that's spying on you.  If it's built into the
garage part, try identifying what part of the circuit board is doing what
you don't want and physically disconnecting it.  I imagine it will
incorporate a wireless NIC, and that cutting the traces going to the NIC
would prevent it from phoning home.

-DTC