[Discuss] Off Topic and Proud of It: Untraceable Garage Door Openers: No Alexa, No Siri, no nothing

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Fri Oct 15 12:58:52 EDT 2021

Whatever one thinks of the NSAs abilities or intentions, garage door
openers being integrated with "smart" speakers is a bad idea. Insecure,
fragile, buggy.

I'd start with being worried about not being able to open my garage in a
power outage. Why add internet outage (or other computer mess up) to the
list of failure modes?

As for what to buy? Get one with the features and price you like best,
keep it incommunicado (don't connect it to your network, if it brings
its own cellular data physically disable it), then craft your own
out-board remote.

Ah: There is the question. What kind of remote do you want? How do you
build it? Garage remotes are a big security and reliability liability.
What compromises do you prefer?

-kb, the Kent who does operate a certain garage opener on a regular
basis, by way of a physical key-switch, installed in such a way that if
pulled out of the wall the wires will break at a point away from the
switch and not get pulled out for easy shorting.