[Discuss] Virt-Manager

markw at mohawksoft.com markw at mohawksoft.com
Thu Oct 21 21:46:59 EDT 2021

Generally speaking, VMware, HyperV, XEN, and QEMU (KVM) do not emulate the
CPU. The later processors have a mode where they can set up an environment
that is a hardened "sandbox." The software in the sandbox do not really
know that they are in a sandbox. All instructions seem to operate as
expected except for those instructions that think they are dealing with
privileged access. When this happens, the processor traps execution and
jumps to an emulation routine in the hypervisor that manipulates the state
of the VM.

If you are running ARM code on an x86_64 system, you are absolutely
emulating each instruction.

Containers are different, think of them as "chroot" processes with OS hooks.