[Discuss] VirutalBox VMs on NVME?

markw at mohawksoft.com markw at mohawksoft.com
Mon Oct 25 21:22:07 EDT 2021

I know I'm coming off like a Linux/QEMU fan boy, but QEMU is really
f&^%king awesome.

Want to make a new drive? Want performance? Want thin provisioned?

touch system.raw
truncate -s 1T system.raw

On Linux, that one TB file takes almost no space if you use EXT[2,3,4],
xfs, zfs, or some number of supported file systems, NOT FAT. Its actually
faster than qcow2. This, surprisingly, doesn't work on Mac because their
file system (last time I looked) didn't support sparse files.

You can use that as a drive to your VM and install into it. I do it all
the time. And, you can mount it on your host system (with a loop-back
device) if something goes wrong and you can't boot.

Plus, "libvirt" allows full scripting and is much easier than VMware.

Our whole build machine strategy at my last company was based on QEMU. We
had Windows, BSD, RedHat, solaris, and HP-UX VMs all running on QEMU.