[Discuss] Phone company: not redpocket.com

Randy Cole randyokc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 19:05:17 EDT 2021

Cell phones are probably a little bit off-topic for Linux.  It's probably
more apropos to Telecom Digest!   In any case, Red Rocket appears to be a
reseller of the major cell networks ATT, T-mobile, and Verizon.  ATT &
T-mobile service is advertised as "5G", therefore Verizon must be less
preferred.  You should already know that T-mobile and Sprint have merged,
with Sprint's pre-paid services (known as Boost Mobile) divested to Dish
Network.  Sprint's CDMA network is supposed to stay up for about another
year but I read that T-mobile has been shutting it down and shifting
bandwidth to T-mobile, causing problems for customer still using the Sprint
legacy network.

You should 1. call customer service and 2. determine which network you are
using and 3. determine if you have an old phone that is either
malfunctioning or doesn't have the correct bands that you need.  If you are
on the Sprint legacy network you may have to migrate sooner rather than
later.  And 4. is your phone unlocked or eligible for unlocking.

If you are not satisfied with your customer service you can port to a
different MVNO or provider.