[HH] Internet connectivity watchdog timer

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 21:57:34 EST 2011

Tom Metro wrote:
> I just ran another search and uncovered that Tripp Lite has a bunch of
> models that include a "Watchdog system service to restore operation to
> locked equipment through soft reboot of application/OS or hard power
> off/on reboot of connected equipment - ideal for unattended kiosk
> applications."
> [...]
> I called them and confirmed the hardware does implement a watchdog
> timer. It's just a matter of getting the necessary technical info to
> create some software to talk to it from the router.
> [...]
> Hopefully it isn't information they keep proprietary.

I did find one of these from a local supplier in the rural location I
was at. I ended up paying twice what it would have cost me to buy it here.

Then I heard back from Tripp Lite engineering, and they took the
approach that sadly is all too typical: they declared the information
proprietary. Apparently they don't really want to sell more hardware.

So I brought the UPS back with me to hack in my leisure over the winter.

Any suggestions for reverse engineering USB communications? I ran across
this article on reverse engineering the USB communication with the
Microsoft Kinect:
http://www.ladyada.net/learn/diykinect/

but haven't read it yet.