[HH] Home remote control - not exactly hardware hacking.

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 18:43:02 EST 2011

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> Home remote control - not exactly hardware hacking.

Home automation fits the charter of the list.

> Years ago I looked into X10...

I've written about X10 on BLU (see archives). I'm not a fan. Never
worked reliably for me except in very limited use (i.e. a RF wireless
switch talking to an RF receiver; no power-line communication involved).

> I've looked at Insteon...

A viable choice, but it still mostly depends on power-line
communication, which I had had enough of, so I put my bets on Z-Wave,
with uses a mesh RF network.

> What I am looking for is a couple of wireless outlets so I can
> program a couple of lamps that are currently running on manual timers.
>
> ...decided it was not worth it at the time.

I recommend starting small and simple. If you go Z-Wave start with one
of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-HA07C-Settings-Wireless-Control/dp/B000BRGU2E/

It's a simple timer/controller. Doesn't handle DST time changes
correctly (hard wired for the old schedule) as I noted in my Amazon
review, and has a clunky UI, but it's cheap and does the job (I've been
using one for a couple of years). You can find one for about $12 at the
Ocean State Job Lot down the road from you.

Alternatively get the version that comes bundled with a couple of lamp
modules:
http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-HA101K-Home-Settings-Wireless/dp/B000BRMMDU/

or separately purchase some modules:
http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-HA02C-Settings-Heavy-Duty-Appliance/dp/B000BJSDZO/

I went with the appliance modules (use a relay instead of a TRIAC) as I
don't really have any incandescent lamps that could make use of the
dimming functionality the lamp module provides.

Anyway, this will get your basic need met for under $50 ($40 if you shop
carefully). You;ll get your feet wet with Z-Wave and determine whether
it works reliably for you.

> What I want to do is to control a lamp (and later a thermostat) from
> Linux or Android via WiFi.

When you are comfortable with the above, work your way up to this using:
http://code.google.com/p/open-zwave/

The list archives and the wiki has recommendations for computer Z-Wave
interfaces.

I haven't had time to implement the Linux side of my Z-Wave setup, but
hope to do it in the coming year. I'd like to build a dedicated home
automation server on a router platform.