[HH] AZIZ: a new open source home automation solution for Linux

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 22:57:18 EST 2011

http://cocoontech.com/portal/articles/news/31-software/599-aziz-a-new-open-source-home-automation-solution-for-linux

  AZIZ is a brand new solution which is still in development.  It runs
  on Linux, but mostly relies on Perl and MySQL components (so in
  theory, someone could port it to another platform) and has a web
  interface which should be compatible with all current browsers.  It
  supports INSTEON, X10, and some devices such as the Ademo/Honeywell
  Vista alarm panels (using the AD2USB interface).

AZIZ site: http://electriclab.com/blog/
Specifically this page:
http://electriclab.com/blog/?page_id=17
for details on the project.

I'm surprised to see no mention of Z-Wave, but it is a new project. The
author does address why he initially supported Insteon over X10 (but now
supports both):
http://electriclab.com/blog/?page_id=13

So far I haven't read a good explanation for why the existing home
automation projects didn't meet the AZIZ author's needs, or how AZIZ
differentiates itself.

The article also mentions, "...CocoonTech has been tracking all home
automation software available to the general public, all compiled in a
nice and easy to search home automation software list."
http://cocoontech.com/portal/lists/home-automation-software