[HH] ruggedized wireless sensor

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 13:17:10 EST 2011

Some MIT Media Lab kids are building a ruggedized wireless sensor...

http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/25/twine-foreshadows-a-future-where-all-objects-talk-to-the-internet/

  ...Supermechanical have built Twine, a sleek 2.5´´ rubber square which
  connects to Wifi ... you to program its sensors with natural language
  rules like "When: accelerometer is at rest, Then: Tweet" in the case
  of the laundry done thing, for example.

  You can hook up the battery operated Twine to communicate through SMS,
  Twitter, Email and even HTTP requests if you're into that sort of
  thing.

  The basic Twine comes with an internal temperature sensor and an
  internal accelerometer, and the Twine guys are making optional
  external sensors including a magnetic switch for doors, a moisture
  sensor and a breakout board for those of you that want to create your
  own DIY sensor action. ... Possible options include an RFID reader, a
  pressure sensor and/or current sensor.

  ...with a donation of $90 you can order your own Twine through
  Kickstarter...

OK, so a microcontroller embedded in a 2.5 x 2.5 x .25 chunk of rubber.
I guess I'd need to have a more compelling application in mind than
notifying me when my clothes were dry before I'd pay $90.