[HH] putting Old floppy drives to good use

Kurt L Keville kkeville at MIT.EDU
Fri Sep 30 15:18:57 EDT 2011

We did something similar to this when the Cambridge Maker Faire joined up with
the Science Festival... we found a DEC 8-inch floppy drive on eBay and built a
Savonius VAWT on top of it..  we also built smaller ones with coffee cups and
CD-ROM drives...  you want to get old drives though; modern drives have
a diode
so you can no longer backfeed the circuit in our experience...