[HH] universal power tool battery

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Mon Apr 9 11:52:33 EDT 2012

I bought a bunch of cordless power tools last year,
ended up getting makita 18v lithium ion tools.

Their charger will fully charge a 18v, 3amphour battery in 30 minutes.
And I can testify it delivers on that spec.

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Accessories/AccessoryDetails.aspx?ID=34111

Not sure how li-ion compares to nimh, but makita is considered
a pretty good toolmaker, and li-ion is the technology they're
using now, so...

I have beat the crap out of their tools and they keep kicking ass.

I keep wondering if I could just plug two batteries in series
and use them to power their 36volt circular saw.
The 18v saw will cut 2x4, but the 36v uses a bigger blade and
has more bite.

What little I've read says the tool somehow communicates with
the battery, or the battery communicates with the tool.
So, I wasn't sure about putting them in series.

I also keep wondering about some sort of converter
because makita doesn't have certain cordless tools,
like an oscillating multitool for doing plunge cuts.

http://www.tylertool.com/bosch-ps50-2b-12v-max-cordless-lithium-ion-multi-x-carpenter-kit/bshnps50-2b,default,pd.html?ref=pricegrabberPS50-2B&zmam=31282435&zmas=41&zmac=479&zmap=PS50-2B

Greg