[HH] You Do It Electronics doesnt carry Zero Force Insertion sockets....

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Sun Apr 15 22:26:08 EDT 2012

> The local retail outlets for things like that have pretty much dried up.
> Once upon a time there used to be a few surplus stores in Cambridge
> (Unitech for a short while, and Eli Heferon's for decades), but they're
> gone.

I grew up on a farm in the middle of nowhere. A trip to
Radio Shack once in a blue moon was where I got a lot of
my gadgets. Mail order from Heathkit was the other source.
I wish now that I had bought their robot, dammit, but it
was way too expensive for me. I spent all my money on a
Radio Shack Color Computer and a floppy drive.

;/

Oh well.

> At one time there was a small chain of electronics stores aimed at
> high-end hobbyists and professionals called Active Electronics. (They
> had a store in Woburn I think.) They got bought up and renamed
> Future-Active and turned into a more typical wholesale distributor.

Is this a function of everything going online and brick-and-mortar
stores just aren't needed? Or is electronics just not a hobby anymore?

A few months ago, I read some article by an old school hacker saying
that that hobbyists soldering parts together was a "phase" like the
pet rock or hula hoops were a phase.

At the time, I thought he was nuts. But jeebus, I'm not so sure anymore.

Greg