[HH] Chumby halts hardware sales

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 02:13:21 EDT 2012

One of the early hackable Linux devices has ceased production. The
Chumby always seemed like a neat idea, but I never felt compelled to own
one.

 -Tom

Chumby halts hardware sales, long-term support looking mighty unlikely
http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/19/chumby-halts-hardware-sales-out-of-business/

"The site is closed temporarily." Never a good sign, indeed, and
particularly not when it's plastered across Chumby's own webstore. For
over two days now, that's the message given to anyone attempting to buy
hardware from the company, and it looks as if the Chumby we knew may be
counting down its final days. A scrappy upstart attempting to bring its
Chumby OS to the masses via injections into larger OEMs, the outfit saw
little to no uptake across a wide variety of products; Sony nixed the
Dash earlier this year, and Insignia turned its back quite some time
ago. To be fair, Chumby had stopped manufacturing its own branded
hardware in 2011, with the outfit's Duane Maxwell confirming the
outright death of Chumby's store in a forum posting today. According to
him, there was "no point in keeping the store around once inventory was
exhausted," though hardcore loyalists can still snag a NeTV from adafruit.
[...]