[HH] Hacking Embedded Linux: More Hardware than You Require

Federico Lucifredi flucifredi at acm.org
Thu Aug 2 02:36:04 EDT 2012

On May 17, 2012, at 11:18 PM, Tom Metro wrote:

[i.MX53 Quickstart]

>  Do you know if the SATA port is compatible
> with port multiplexers?

Tom, I have been trying to find this out. Technically, I believe it is a SATA II port so the answer should be 'yes', but I was not able to find anything other than another person wondering the same thing thus far…

[PandaBoard]
> That looks like a relatively high-end ARM board. If you want to do your
> users a favor, have your developers live with the pain of using
> something more average, so they'll be motivated to keep the code speedy. :-)

Yes, it is the most easily sourced Cortex-A9 (the i.MX53 is an A8).  And performance-wise, Phoronix has us as the fastest distro in their recent benchmark with Fedora (but the Fedora guys have been working hard at it I hear).

The short summary is that today Ubuntu is the fastest ARM distro, if you have an architecture v7 with thumb instruction support - and Debian the most compatible. So if you are looking at older archs like the R.PI (for economic reasons) or the various *Plugs (for Marvell's architecture license reason) are sporting, Debian is a good choice indeed.

Best -F

-- "'Problem' is a bleak word for challenge" - Richard Fish
(Federico L. Lucifredi) - flucifredi at acm.org - GnuPG 0x4A73884C