[HH] dead IR remotes

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 16:17:55 EDT 2012

Bill Bogstad wrote:
> A regular digital camera will work for this as well.

Sure, anything with a CCD and live video feedback will do. (I actually
had a still camera in mind.)

> I'm actually using the same kind of remote as well (and have noticed
> some corrosion of the battery [terminals]...

I think you should replicate my procedure and see how it works for you. :-)

As I noted, I'm pretty sure corrosion is not to blame in my case, as I'm
seeing good voltage at the PCB.

> I was thinking about trying some sandpaper to remove it.
> Or maybe a wire brush (if I can get one that will fit).

A pencil eraser works nicely on battery contacts that are chromed. These
don't appear to be.

Another possibility would be a pencil-like device that has abrasive
fiberglass fibers sticking out of one end. Harbor Freight used to sell
one, but they don't seem to carry it any more.

Emory boards, sandpaper, or even just repeatedly scraping the contact
with a jeweler's screwdriver will work.

In the case of this remote, they have the positive contact well shrouded
in plastic, so you'll wither need to disassemble, or use a needle file.

Disassembly tip: start prying at the gap on either side of the IR LED
and work your way back.

But my recommendation is that if it is still working, don't touch it.