[HH] c++ strings?

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Mon Dec 17 11:57:30 EST 2012

> This whole discussion exemplifies one of my pet peeves about C++
> practitioners. C++ is a superset of C, thus, all the constructs
> available in C are also available in C++.

Well, the problem is that I'm not really a C++ practitioner.
I'm an ASIC engineer. One of my first hardware jobs was
doing schematics on some cad software. Software was assembly.
At some point I started doing VHDL and Ada. And then verilog
and some C. And then perl. And then a bit of C++. And then
system verilog.

I want to use a ZED board at work to speed up some of our
verification and validation work on our ASICs.
And because of some other restrictions, the code that runs
on the ARM of the ZED board has to be C or C++.

I would have done it in perl if I could have, but our
environment has some restrictions, and perl won't work.
The only language that fits is C and C++.

So, I'm under a bit of a crunch to flesh out a bunch of C++
functionality for our environment on a very short deadline.

And since I'm not really a C++ practitioner, I'm forced
to ask some really dumb questions.

I did write a book on the perl programming language.
You can download it for free here

http://www.greglondon.com/iperl/index.htm

I think its short (150 pages) and to the point and gives people
the bare minimum they need to get up and running.

If anyone knows of a good, short, to the point, functional
book on C++, I'm all ears.

Greg