[HH] wxPerl on Raspbian

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 16:38:51 EST 2012

At the last BLU talk someone asked about what tools you use to code on a
Raspberry Pi. Mostly you hear Python mentioned. Here's an article
talking about using Perl for GUI apps on the Pi:

wxPerl on Raspbian
http://binaryperl.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/fun-things-still-happen.html

  The foundation is supporting Python as the official educational
  language. It looked like too much fun to be left to Python to me, so I
  did some preliminary investigation about support for Perl. If this
  thing turns out to be popular it would be nice if educational users
  were exposed to Perl on it.

  The first thing to check was that programming the GPIO is possible in
  Perl and sure enough , Device::BCM2835 is available on CPAN.

In a subsequent posting the author talks about how he set up his
development environment, running Raspbian (Debian), in a Qemu virtual
machine on Windows:

http://binaryperl.blogspot.co.il/2012/11/wxperl-on-raspbian.html

Sounds like he hasn't received his Raspberry Pi hardware yet, and thus
hasn't yet proven out that this code works on the real hardware.