[HH] Blink(1)

Federico Lucifredi flucifredi at acm.org
Sun Dec 23 21:41:41 EST 2012

On Dec 23, 2012, at 2:46 AM, Tom Metro wrote:

>> Also, the ability to create color animations or blinking patterns
>> makes it even more flexible than a plain "Red Alert" signal.
>
> Sure, but is it worth $30? Probably not. At least not for most typical
> applications. If it is successful, no doubt there will be a Chinese
> knock-off for $5 that just uses a simple single-color LED, instead of an
> RGB LED with the ability to do fancy color fades. Unfortunate for the
> developers, as they deserve to get the sales themselves, but you have to
> match your price point to your application. I think at a $5 to $10 price
> point they'd sell in excess of 3 to 6 times what they'll sell at $30.

Well, you know how it works.  $30 is the early adopter, Kickstarter price.  If they are successful, that brings volume, and at volume, other prices can happen.

If like drew estimated this can be made for $5 in volume, then it would be sold at around $10-12 to be sustainable… and I can see buying a handful.  At $30, like you said, it is a bit pricey.

Best -F

-- "'Problem' is a bleak word for challenge" - Richard Fish
(Federico L. Lucifredi) - flucifredi at acm.org - GnuPG 0x4A73884C