[HH] Controlling lots of LEDs with a microcontroller

Drew Van Zandt drew.vanzandt at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 01:07:21 EST 2012

There are drivers specifically designed for this, which do the magic by
using a matrix where the "on" LEDs are on only part of the time - that's
sufficient at high refresh rates for the human eye to convince you they are
always on.  You can do it yourself to drive 120 LEDs with 17
microcontroller I/O like this:
http://www.nerdkits.com/videos/ledarray2/

<http://www.nerdkits.com/videos/ledarray2/>....or if you want a slightly
fancier solution, you can use a few of these:
http://www.ti.com/product/tlc59116

<http://www.ti.com/product/tlc59116>Up to 224 LEDs controlled over I2C, and
that's easily muxed to get you more.

*
Drew Van Zandt
Artisan's Asylum Craft Lead, Electronics & Robotics
Cam # US2010035593 (M:Liam Hopkins R: Bastian Rotgeld)
Domain Coordinator, MA-003-D.  Masquerade aVST
*