[HH] Controlling lots of LEDs with a microcontroller

Drew Van Zandt drew.vanzandt at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 10:40:30 EST 2012

The flexible PCBs are insanely expensive in small quantities. If you're
doing this on a curve like the Daft Punk helmets, I'd suggest single-line
or dual-line PCBs with a vertically oriented row of LEDs plus a driver for
8 or 16 as applicable; SPI or I2C between.  Not good if you want to be able
to see through the LED matrix from behind, though.  Hand-soldering the LEDs
into an array is not so bad - use a wooden jig with a CAM-drilled hole
matrix to get the spacing perfect even in a hand-built array.  Red LEDs run
about a nickel each in quantity.

Some commonly available flexible RGB LED strips have LEDs roughly every
16mm, if that's close-packed enough for you, and they are cuttable into
groups of three.  Some trace-cutting and soldering is required to drive
them individually, though.  A 5-meter strip (300 LEDs) is about $30 shipped
from Hong Kong.

RGB takes 3X the I/O, however, for 360 LEDs worth.

*
Drew Van Zandt
Artisan's Asylum Craft Lead, Electronics & Robotics
Cam # US2010035593 (M:Liam Hopkins R: Bastian Rotgeld)
Domain Coordinator, MA-003-D.  Masquerade aVST
*