[HH] Relaunched: the 6502 microprocessor

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 13:53:48 EST 2012

This looks and sounds almost identical to the WDC "upgrade" CPU I bought
for my Apple //c oh so many years ago. Surprised to hear WDC is still in
business.

The article fails to explain what *why* the 6502 is still alive and
kicking today. (Sure, it's a nice core, but they're not talking about a
6502 core stuck into some modern day system-on-a-chip, but a classic DIP
package microcontroller. (The article does note that WDC also offers the
core IP.))

Purely for the hobby market?

 -Tom

Relaunched: the 6502 microprocessor
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Relaunched-the-6502-microprocessor-1422007.html

  The 6502 processor from the 1970s is alive once again - and as a
  proper 40-pin chip in a dual in-line package (DIP) housing, not just
  as an embedded core. Mouser Electronics has added the 8-bit classic,
  since modernised by WDC (Western Design Center), to its product
  range...pin and software compatible with its grandfather...a clock
  speed of up to 14 MHz (instead of the original 1 MHz).