[HH] Pivos XIOS, Cortex A9 media player running Android

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 15:37:47 EDT 2012

Send me some feedback off-list if you're getting tired of hearing about
ARM devices primarily useful for media playback. It happens to be of
interest to me, as I'm in the market to buy one. Here's another...

Pivos XIOS DS Media Play is a small "pizza box" style (4" x 4" x .7")
set-top-box that runs Android (comes with an obsolete version but the
vendor supplies 4.0 (ICS) as a download).

Specs:

CPU: ARM Cortex A9
GPU: Mali-400 (Open GL)
RAM: 512 MB DDR2
Storage: 2GB NAND Flash
Network: 10/100 Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n WiFi
A/V Out: HDMI 1.3
Connections: 3 x USB 2.0
Storage: MicroSD/MicroSDHC (4-32GB)

Comes with an IR remote, power supply, and HDMI cable.

Vendor page:
http://www.pivosgroup.com/#!vstc3=support/vstc0=xios

Newegg has it in stock for $115:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815645003

AVS Forum reports it handles HD playback and Flash playback:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1414297/pivos-xios-ds-media-play-the-semiofficial-thread

And in the recent announcement that XBMC has been ported to Android,
they have a demo video showing it running on one of these. (This is
where I ran across it.)

The hardware specs seem a bit weak compared to some of the other things
in the pipeline, but I guess it does the job adequately.

With WiFi, Ethernet, SD slot, and 3 USB ports it could be useful for
other things as well. For example, home automation controller, or IP
camera video server.