[HH] more Raspberry Pi reviews

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Mon Jun 4 22:46:42 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Tom Metro <tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com> wrote:

> (I've never gone searching for it, but I've never ran across mention of
> people hacking Roku boxes. Don't they run Linux? Are they GPL compliant
> (at least to the extent of releasing source and binaries so you can load
> a modified firmware)?

1. Yes, Roku uses Linux and other GPLed software
2. Yes, they make source available on their web site which (probably)
matches their binaries.
3.  No, you can't change the software.  i.e. Tivoization.   From what
I've read, the low-level firmware will only install new system
software which has been cryptographically signed by Roku.

Some people have tried to use Roku's software developer kit to
implement a MythTV channel for Roku.   Unfortunately, you have to
transcode all of your videos to H.264 to use it.   Not something that
I'm interested in at this time.

Bill Bogstad