[HH] arduino questions?

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Tue Jun 12 10:53:08 EDT 2012

I don't know if anyone on the lists does anything with Arduino stuff
or not. Figure I'd give it a shot.

[Q1] The 6 pin ICSP (in circuit serial programming) connector:

Is there anything special about the 5v pin on the ICSP header?
is it just a static 5v dc? Or does it turn on/off at a certain
times during programming or change to a different voltage
during programming?

[Q2] ICSP and brand new parts

So, I've been programming everything using the AVR dragon
parallel programmer. I got some parts from digikey and
drop them in the parallel programmer and set the fuses and
burn the code I want.

Can I program brand new parts using the ICSP?
change fuse settings? Download new software?
Does the board have to have an oscillator?

I tried jury-rigging something to program the ATtiny13
with a home made ICSP connector, but I couldn't get it
to work. Thought maybe I should see if it can actually
do what I want it to do.

Maybe I just had something hooked up wrong, but I couldn't
find it.

[Q3] crystal frequency

How hard would it be to run an arduino at something
other than 16mhz. It looks like every arduino available
commercially runs at 16mhz except for one model which I
think was a Lilypad which ran at 8mhz.

Anyone familiar with the bootloader know how much of the
code has 16mhz hard coded into its assumptions?