[HH] Artisan's Asylum April classes

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 17:05:08 EST 2012

Saw a Tweet today that a new set of AA classes were open for
registration. Some highlights:

http://artisansasylum.com/?page_id=1803

  Overthrow Sound: A first course in electronic music production

  Bucky's Buddies: Building Temporary Structures, Thursdays, April 5-26
  - Bevan's famous dome class returns! If you've ever wanted to learn
  how to build large, tough structures cheaply, this class is for you.
  Come learn how to design and build geodesic structures out of wood and
  metal!

Who is the target audience for this one? At first I thought they were
aiming at set builders, but then it mentions geodesic structures. Sounds
intriguing.

  Tool Training: Basic Machine Tools, most Saturdays and Sundays, 12-2pm
   -- For complete novices and as a basic refresher, this session covers
  everything someone would need to get started at Artisan's Asylum;
  basic safety, basic shop layout, drill presses, sanders, bench
  grinder, and hand power tools. See registration for exact dates
  available.

  Introduction to Analog Circuit Design, 2 SEATS LEFT! Thursdays, March
  8-29 -- In this followup to Introduction to Electronics, students will
  work with transistors, operational amplifiers, and a few other basic
  components to create circuits with a variety of audio applications -
  including amplification, filtering, and signal processing. By the end
  of the course you'll be able to make a simple guitar amp, audio
  equalizer, or radio system!

  Breadboard to Circuitboard, Wednesdays, April 4-25 -- Go from
  prototype to professional! This class will help you take a circuit
  that works on your breadboard and create a fancy, professional-quality
  circuitboard for it. Students will learn how to enter a circuit into a
  free schematic capture program, create a netlist file, import the
  netlist into a free layout program, produce Gerber files to send to a
  PCB production house, and produce a BOM (Bill of Materials) for
  professional board production.

  Tool Training: 3D Printer, scheduled week by week -- Learn everything
  you need to know to print 3D models and prototypes on our new uPrint
  SE Plus 3D printer! This class covers everything you need to know to
  safely and properly operate the printer as an Asylum member.

  I guess that answers my earlier question asking whether the AA has a
  3D printer. The other class on "Introduction to Computer-Aided
  Manufacturing," where you run a "4´x8´ computer-controlled router" is
  actually more interesting, but it is sold out. (I've always thought
  woodworking needed to be more like word processing, such that one
  small mistake doesn't mean you have to start over. Just fix the typo
  and reprint.)

  Intro to TIG Welding: APRIL, Mondays, April 2-23 and Tuesdays, April
  3-24 -- Come learn how to weld with Skunk! TIG welding is a precise
  type of welding generally used to make space frames (like bicycle
  frames) and small pieces. Students learn operation of a TIG welder and
  a large range of supporting equipment for a variety of materials and
  joint types.

  Metalworking Intensive: APRIL, Wednesdays, April 4-25 -- In this
  class, the instructors will guide students through professional-grade
  steel construction skills in the building of metal worktables for
  Artisan's Asylum. By the end of the session, students will have
  learned all the skills necessary to building load-bearing steel
  structures, including cutting, milling, grinding, jigging, and MIG
  welding.

AA doesn't have enough tables yet? Isn't this the 3rd or 4th run of this
class?

  Tool Training: Basic Metalworking Machine Tools, most Saturdays,
  4-6pm, and Sundays, 3-5pm -- Basic training on sheet metal tools, chop
  saws, hand grinders, cutoff wheels, metal bandsaws, and spot welders.

  Tool Training: Precision Machine Tools, Wednesdays, 7-9pm -- Basic
  training on the operation of our Bridgeport manual mills and manual
  lathes. Training on the Sharp CNC mill scheduled individually,
  according to appointment.

This highlights list is getting too long...more classes on woodworking
(including another one mentioning the CNC Router), sewing, and bicycle
maintenance & repair.

Interesting stuff if you aren't bogged down doing taxes in April. :-(