[HH] 3D printing at AA

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 02:05:25 EST 2012

Drew Van Zandt wrote:
> Artisan's Asylum has both a MakerBot (~$1200 3D printer from a kit) and
> a uPrint SE Plus (~$400/month lease).

Fantastic.

> Yes, expensive tools like that are hard to afford on your own. If
> only there were some sort of organization you could join for
> $40 - $125 a month that had some of these expensive tools and
> kept acquiring more. ;-)

Is use of the 3D printers covered by AA's day price?

How do you charge for materials?

> The CNC aluminum router that can handle a 4'x8' sheet of 1" aluminum
> should be coming online in a month or two...

Now we're talking... :-)

What's a 4' x 8' x 1" sheet  of aluminum cost? Tiny pieces cost a
fortune at the hardware store.

You guys are amassing a really nice collection of toys. I wish I spent
enough time on projects to justify a membership. Tempting.