[HH] 3D printing

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 02:21:30 EST 2012

markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
> Here is the problem: The cost of the tool is much higher than anything it
> can produce. With all other tools the value proposition is the other way
> around. You buy a $300 set of wrenches and a $50 book to save thousands in
> auto-repair costs. You don't spend thousands of dollars in tools to fix
> one or two small plastic gears.

Your analogy is broken. The obvious analogy is to a paper printer, which
typically will cost you $100 or more, and produces output worth a few cents.

> Unless and until the value proposition gets inverted it will remain a
> nerd-only curiosity. Yes, I want one, it would be cool, but they need to
> bring more to the table to justify the expense.

Your point is still valid.

Printers make sense because most of us have a need to produce hundreds
of pieces of paper with ink or toner applied.

Not many of us have a need to spit out hundreds of small, unique plastic
parts.

I would probably get more value out of a micro mill, which costs about
the same, and can handle aluminum, brass, and steel, in addition to
plastic. (Even better if the mill is hacked to turn it into a CNC mill.)

A CNC router is also appealing, but I don't have the space for it.

Someday when there is a factory assembled, well functioning 3D printer
for $300, I'll certainly consider it.

In the mean time I'm more apt to get familiar with places like AA where
this equipment can be used for a reasonable fee.