[HH] arduino help: write protect, USB FTDI, ICSP, all connect to reset

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Wed Mar 28 18:25:35 EDT 2012

The AC coupling I understand.

If I use the DTR or RTS to reset the arduino,
that means that DTR should only go low rarely?

I don't know exactly how USB gets faked out into fakey rs232,
so I'm not sure how much  DTR or RTS toggles as part of USB
traffic.

If its used by the programmer to reset the arduino after
its programmed the chip, I assume DTR doesn't toggle
too often.

I've used my PC as a dumb terminal to an Arduino, and
I assume that DTR doesn't toggle much while that connection
is active either.

I wouldn't want my ardiuno to be talking to a terminal
or trying to download a sketch and have DTS pulse low
and throw a reset on me when I didn't want it.

Reading the wikipedia entry on DTR on serial printers
it sounds like its the way to tell the modem to hang up,
so I assume it doesn't toggle too much.

I assume whatever handwavium the USB to rs232 converter
does respects that and allows control of DTR and doesn't
toggle it just because some data parity was bad and it
wants a resend or something.

Also, slogging through the spec that Drew sent for the atmega,
it looks like the reset pin only gets 12v during
parallel programming. and the ICSP is a serial programming
interface, so I'm guessing I don't have to worry about
isolating 12v anyway.

So, as far as voltage isolation is concerned, I'll just put
in a diode on the voltage regulator output, the FTDI 5v pin,
and the ICSP 5v pin, and then nobody gets fried if I hook up
more than one power at a time.

And I'll just keep the cap on the DTR/RTS pin to reset, and assume
it wont toggle much, and assume there isn't any 12v on
reset during serial programming, and not worry about isolating
anything there.

I have read some people disconnectiong the USB FTDI DTR/RTS
pin from the atmega reset, so maybe I'll put a jumper in my design
so I can disconnect it easily if need be.

Greg