[HH] low battery indicator

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Sat Mar 31 01:55:50 EDT 2012

First thing is I'd probably talk to your architect and see just how
important that blinky pattern really is.

;)

If you want something that specific, and as few parts as possible,
you might be better off trying something like a tiny microcontroller.

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/2535S.pdf

The schematic they have in step 5 here is pretty bare bones.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Tiny-AVR-Microcontroller-Runs-on--a-Fruit-Battery/?ALLSTEPS

It's the chip, a cap on the power pin, a resistor and LED.

The chip has some features that might be useful for low battery detection:

– 4-channel, 10-bit ADC with Internal Voltage Reference
– Programmable Watchdog Timer with Separate On-chip Oscillator
– On-chip Analog Comparator

Maybe wake up once a second to check the voltage, use the ADC and the
internal reference to figure out the external voltage. Then either pulse
the LED on then off, or leave it on, then sleep for another second or so.

You'd need a low current voltage regulator and two resistors to divide the
battery voltage down to something the ADC could sample. But it would be
programmable, so you could blink any pattern you want.

Low Power Consumption
– Active Mode:
• 1 MHz, 1.8V: 240 μA
– Power-down Mode:
• < 0.1 μA at 1.8V

you might even be able to PWM the LED so it looks like its on all the time
through persistance of vision, but actually saves some battery juice. I
hate running LED's all the time on battery projects. The milliamps really
suck. And you're usually only going to glance at the LED once in a blue
moon anyway. So, if you PWM a 10ma LED at 50%, it's not as bright, but
it's also only drawing half as much power.

Or, get a bi-color LED, and hook it up between two output pins fo teh
chip. Then you can PWM it green for good power, adn pwm it red for low
battery.
Either way, you'll be draining one-tenth the power you would when the LED
is constantly on. Just pulse it once every second or two. (depending on
how important the architect says that blinky pattern is)

looks like digikey has the microcontroller in stock for just over a buck.

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/ATTINY13A-PU/ATTINY13A-PU-ND/1914671

Just a thought.

Greg