[HH] n channel mosfet questions

Drew Van Zandt drew.vanzandt at gmail.com
Thu May 17 15:13:28 EDT 2012

Do you specifically need an N-channel MOSFET?  I am fond of these:
http://www.findchips.com/avail?part=FAN3217TMX

A _lot_ of people use high-current buffers rather than N-channel MOSFETs
for low loads.  Or half-H drivers, as they're often easy to search for.[1]

There are also MOSFETs designed for logic-level drive, and driver ICs that
boost the drive voltage up nice and high with a charge pump so you can use
cheap N-channel MOSFETs for the high side as well as the low side, and
drive your volume up on one part rather than having e.g. 2 N's and 2 P's
for an H-bridge.

The resistor to the gate is most likely a throwback to BJTs, _but_ it also
does drop the edge rate a good bit and thus is good for EMI reduction at
the expense of slightly more power burned by the MOSFET during switching.
 It can let you reduce the switching speed of the FET as well, via RC time
constant.
GS resistor is not bad to have around while micro is booting.

[1] No, these things are not all the same animal, but they're useful for
very similar things.

*
Drew Van Zandt
Artisan's Asylum Craft Lead, Electronics & Robotics
Cam # US2010035593 (M:Liam Hopkins R: Bastian Rotgeld)
Domain Coordinator, MA-003-D.  Masquerade aVST
*