[HH] cheapest/simplest way to control a relay from a PC

Jack Coats jack at coats.org
Sat Nov 10 08:28:28 EST 2012

A quick google for commercial products puts the control of one relay
at about $30US+S&H

http://www.sigma-shop.com/product/7/usb-relay-controller-one-channel-box.html?&CurrencyID=1
-- 1 relay, USB controlled, nicely packaged

http://numato.com/2-channel-usb-relay-module -- 2 relay, USB
controlled, board with exposed components assembled

http://procontrol.com/products/pro-relay-4/ -- professional looking, 4
relay, ethernet or IR interface, POE or 1A 12V external power, no
price on page at first glance

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/366255.html?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps&gclid=CKSL0re7xLMCFao7MgodIWcA7Q
-- Interesting device for controlling and monitoring 2 audio lines in
and out.  USB controlled and powered for $30

Now $30 isn't cheap (under $2 is in my book), but these options are
not bad for $30 equipment.

I use an earlier version of http://www.digital-loggers.com/lpc.html
that cost about $130.  It is commercial grade and well worth it.  I
use it remotely over a wifi network, and it is rock solid.  I use 'Web
Power Switch III' and they are new selling 'Web Power Switch 6' just a
couple of years later.  Essentially the same device more features.  I
found out about these from a local college that uses 3 or 4 'Web Power
Switch 1' that isn't as programmable but still rock solid and they
were using it for 2 or 3 years before I got the one I have.  As you
can tell, if you have a 'it needs to just work' this is a great device
(testimonial concluded) even if the price did throw me about $100 over
the budget I had, it is much better than anything else I found.

I have this thing controlling a XP machine, monitor, WIFI router,
small ethernet switch, and power plugged into a small UPS that has
dead batteries now (need to be replaced, but out of my control
currently - so it is currently working as a good surge protector).

Tell us what you choose, and how it works for you in your application.